Buying a Montana-titled vehicle
These are the steps required when you buy a vehicle through your Montana LLC that is presently titled in the State of Montana
- If there is a lien on the vehicle, it must be released prior to your purchase in one of two ways:
- The lender can use a signature stamp in the "Security Interest" box that indicates a release of interest in the vehicle.
- The lender can issue a separate statement on their letterhead that indicates a release of interest in the vehicle.
- On the front side of the Montana title:
- As purchaser, enter your LLC name and Montana address (for example: Ed and Associates, LLC, 302 N. Last Chance Gulch, Suite 409, Helena MT 59601)
- You'll need the services of a notary public for this step. Have seller enter the mileage disclosure and release of interest.Have the seller sign exactly as the title was issued, for example: "RV Fun, LLC by John Doe, member" or "John Doe " (if seller is not an LLC).
- Have a notary public notarize the mileage disclosure and release of interest.
- As purchaser sign, date and print name, for example: "Ed and Associates, LLC by Ed Jones, member"
- On the back side of the Montana title, complete Section E only:
- Note any new lien information if applicable.
- Print your LLC name and your LLC's ID number on the "Printed or typed name of purchaser/owner/business" line
- DO NOT enter anything on the co-applicant line. It will void the title.
- On the address line, enter: 302 N. Last Chance Gulch, Suite 409, Helena MT 59601
- On the "Legal signature" line, sign for your LLC, for example: "Ed and Associates, LLC by Ed Jones, member"
DO NOT make any alterations or use correction fluid anywhere on the title